In South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya, where we come from, it’s crucial for young women and girls to understand how others expect us to behave so that we can communicate effectively. Other people’s expectations are not always fair – but even if we need to speak up we need to understand how best to do this so we are heard, stay safe and have the results we are looking for.
With your mentee, reflect upon the following questions:
- What does respectful communication involve?
- What does disrespectful communication involve?
- How does it feel when someone is disrespectful to you?
- What does self-respect mean? How can we practise it?
- During a debate, what do you do if somebody has an opposite point of view?
- How could I show more respect to the environment?
- Can you think of two scenarios, of which one could be considered respectful and the other disrespectful?
Our Latest Posts:
- PROJECT GROW SAFEGUARDING
- WHAT IS SAFEGUARDING AND CHILD PROTECTION?
- SAFEGUARDING ISN’T A FOREIGN CONCEPT
- SAFEGUARDING POLICIES AND PROCEDURES PROTECT YOUTH WORKERS
- DEFINING SAFEGUARDING AND UNDERSTANDING ABUSE